Wednesday 8 December 2010

More on the snow

Despite all the complaints about the snow, I witnessed a very encouraging example of good neighbourliness in the street where I live; two people who live further down cleared the pavement of snow along one side of the road, from one end of the street to the other. They were helped by the young son of one them, who put a bag of grit on his sled, happily scattering it along the way.

There has been a lot of debate about what the Tory policy of the 'Big Society' might mean, but it strikes me this is a perfect example of it; an unrequested, altruistic act of practical help.

1 comment:

Marginalia said...

I agree. I'm annoyed by the media who seem to glory in painting our society as the bleakest,soulless dystopia.

As benevolent tyrant I'd close the Daily Mail and Express accusing them of spreading fear and despair throughout the realm with their gross exaggerations of our vices and sins.